part of the municipality of San Benedetto Val di Sambro
Casini in his in-depth study of the Bolognese countryside during the so-called municipal period mentions this place with the toponym of Cacanesca, recalling that around the middle of the nineteenth century this was a fraction and parish of the municipality of Pian del Voglio. He also reiterates that this town has few memories, unfortunately due to a lack of documentary sources.
From the most ancient estimates concerning this land and precisely those of 1249, among so many indications about the toponymy and the local roads, we come to know that this remote inhabited area could only count on nine steamers. Later papers show us that in 1288 the Municipality of Bologna decided to aggregate the land of Zaccanesca with the nearby Podesteria di Scaricalasino. Only half a century later and precisely in 1352 we find the community of Zaccanesca subjected to the Vicariate of Monzuno.
Also the church of Santa Maria di Zaccanesca would seem to be, at least in this period, somewhat poor, counting among the parish benefits only two patches of land of modest dimensions and respectively: the Vignali and the Ceralta.
This sacred building has quite remote origins if we consider that it was already mentioned in the ecclesiastical list of the year 1392 and precisely with the title of ecclesia Sancte Marie de Cazavechia. This Marian church was part of the vast jurisdiction of the Plebanato di Sambro and was therefore subjected to the dependencies of the church of San Pietro in Sambro, a parish church that stood a short distance from the present day town of Montorio.
Finally, from the list of hamlets and territories, so-called ancient farmhouses, compiled on the occasion of the alternate administrative divisions carried out during the Napoleonic government, we find some indications about the fate of Zaccanesca. In the territorial compartment issued from 5 March 1803 for the entire area known as the Reno Department, Zaccanesca was an aggregate fraction of the municipality of Qualto and the upper jurisdictional district of Castiglione. Starting from the division of June 1805, it remained subject to the municipality of Qualto, but this depended on the canton of Castiglione and in turn on the district of Vergato. In the subsequent reorganization carried out from April 20, 1810, Zaccanesca's appodiato was merged below the municipality of Piano, canton of Castiglione and district of Porretta. The same administrative situation was also confirmed when the law of December 2, 1813 came into force when Zaccanesca remained appodiato, within the municipal jurisdiction of Pian del Voglio.